Ever wonder what the America’s looked like before clear cut logging? Thank goodness our forest service agencies practice sustainability, meaning if trees are harvested then new trees are planted in their place..
BIG Trees! Hunters first MEETING 10/26 3:00 PM
Big Trees Mount Holly Help us find the Champion TREES in Mount Holly!
WHAT: The Big Tree program goal is to branch into the Mount Holly community to engage & promote the worth, both historically and environmentally, of trees. These trees will root the community and connect them to their nearby nature. A historical timeline will be developed providing a sense of place and pride in 22 environmental tree benefits. Want to estimate what a tree does for you?Click here!
Need: Tree HUNTERS, Tree Spotters, Youth Tree Hunter Leaders* Volunteer here!
WHO: The Mount Holly Community, facilitated by E-Corps, and lead by Big Tree Hunters!
WHEN: 10/26/2014 3:00pm first Big Tree Hunt – Find the schedule, click here
WHERE: First meeting is at the E-Learning Center, 604 S. Main Street. Mount Holly, NC 28120
TO DO: Find the Big Trees!
- Ask the property owner for permission to evaluate the tree.
- Measure the trunk (circumference), Height, and canopy (crown spread)
- Determine the species
- Calculate the age based on the growth factor
- Record the coordinates
- Photograph the tree and record distinguishing characteristics
- Report the age to the Mount Holly Historic Society for a historical time line.
- Consider any tree larger than 9″ inches for submission to the NC Champion Tree Database.