Bring NatSci Junction to your School or Group…
Where nature and science collide.
Enrichment Classes for ages 8 – 13!
The NatSci Junction is a one hour session of natsci infused learning which;
- Engages students in inquiry-based instruction
- Presents science detailing “what” is known is tied to “how” it is known
- Are “hands-on/minds-on” activities that are exemplars of scientific inquiry
- Contains Art and Engineering elements in human impact assessment & sense of place components
- Calculations, comparisons and produce assessment are done
What does NatSci Junction (Nature Enrichment by E-Corps) program contain?
Our program incorporates the North Carolina Essential standards engaging students in inquiry-based instruction which is a critical way of developing conceptual understanding of the science content that is vital for success in the twenty-first century.
E-Corps Expeditions Crew;
- Provides a seamless integration of science content, scientific inquiry, experimentation and technological design, to reinforce in students the notion that “what” is known is inextricably tied to “how” it is known.
- Create opportunities for creative thinking, inquiry, experimentation and technological design.
- Inspires the use of technology will be done through examples of it’s values such as; GIS (mapping information), calculations, graphing, information, story telling and possibly the construction of educational games.
- Includes Art via community (human) impact to immerse the student in the engineering component. The art is folk up-cycle manufacture and testing of functionality such as a clay canoe that floats.
- Calculation of results, comparisons and assessments use mathematical skill in all aspects to such as Tree age from trunk girth. Sustainability and green energy will also be incorporated.
- Engagement of students in “hands-on/minds-on” activities that are exemplars of scientific inquiry, experimentation and technological design.
- Combat Nature Deficit Disorder
- Inspire caring about local environment
- Instill a sense of place
- Illuminate the reality of science
- Alleviate fear of outdoors
- Understanding of environmental impacts
- Observation skill development
- Improved critical thinking
- Conceptual understanding
- Spark inquiry
INSTRUCTOR: Karan Barber, our Captain K, certified NC Environmental Educator and naturalist (with a degree in Environmental Studies and Education) will be teaching these sessions designed for ages 8 -13. As a middle school teacher and summer camp director and instructor with over 20+ years experience. Captain K’s mission is to educate in the great outdoors establishing a nature connection to combat Nature Deficit Disorder. Read more about Karan here http://www.e-corps.org
COURSE INFORMATION: The NatSci Junction are sessions of nature and science infused learning.